History of the Village
The attractive village of Dunnington is located 4 miles east of York and was originally an Anglian settlement. The village was recorded in the Doomsday Book as "Dodinton" in 1086 and then later Dudinton, meaning "Dudda's farm". However, archaeological evidence such as Neolithic and Bronze age flint tools, Iron age pottery, Roman coins and Saxon artefacts, suggest that there is a long history of settlements on the site of Dunnington village, and that Dunnington has been inhabited since pre-historic times.
A Roman altar was found on Dunnington Common during the nineteenth century and a Roman road ran to the north of Dunnington. The Dunnington stretch is now part of a main road to the coast. A second Roman road ran to the south of Dunnington and now forms the Beverley to York road.
Dunnington had a windmill and watermill circa 1300 and a windmill in 1723. The windmill most likely stood on Mill hill, to the north-east of the village where Mill field was mentioned in the 17th century. There was a miller from at least 1823 and by 1850, a windmill stood near Four Lane Ends, close to the present Windmill inn. This was closed down in circa 1900 and eventually demolished.
In the 19th and especially the 20th centuries a scattered collection of houses grew up on the York-Beverley road and on the side roads north and south of Four Lane Ends. They include the Windmill inn, first mentioned in 1872.